Chef Chris Edwards is an extremely talented Chef that is committed to sourcing products responsibly and carefully. Local loyalties, regional inspiration and international experience have all shaped his vision of the culinary arts. At Epicurience Virginia 2016, Chef worked up a DELICIOUS Crispy Sesame Cauliflower! Check out this recipe! It is a true winner and a great spin on a vegetarian version of General Tso Chicken!
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup flour
2 cups tapioca flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ cup toasted mixed sesame seeds
1 ¼ cups dried coconut
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients with a whisk and set aside.
2 cups Dry Breading
2 tbsp vodka
1-2 cups sparkling water
- In a large mixing bowl, mix ingredients with a whisk adding the water little by little until you have a slushy pasty tempura like batter.
Ginger Orange Glaze:
2 tbsp minced ginger
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 bunch of scallions, sliced
4 each star anise
4 each white peppercorns, crushed
3 Thai chilis, thinly sliced
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 cups eel sauce
1 cup orange juice
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
1 cup water
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil and stir fry the ginger, garlic, scallions, chilis and spices.
- Before the garlic starts taking color, add orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Add eel sauce, soy sauce, and water. Bring to a boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
2 cups of cauliflower florets (from 1 large cauliflower head)
2 cups of dry breading (see recipe below)
2 cups of wet batter (see recipe below)
½ cup ginger orange glaze (see recipe below)
2 qts oil for frying
Prep cauliflower florets by cutting them off the stalk of the cauliflower head and set aside.
- In a large saucepot heat the oil slowly until it reaches 325 degrees, turn heat to low.
- Toss cauliflower florets in the dry breading, shake off excess.
- Place dry breaded cauliflower florets in wet batter and lift out shaking any extra batter.
- Gently drop battered cauliflower florets into hot oil and fry for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oil with skimmer and drain on a paper towel.
- Immediately toss in sauce pan with Ginger Orange Glaze.
- Transfer to desired plate, and garnish with green onions.